Monday, August 8, 2011

Spaghetti Squash

One of my good friends raided her dad's garden for me.  She brought me several bags of fresh produce including 2 spaghetti squash.  We'd never eaten spaghetti squash before and honestly my expectations were very low because I'm not a huge squash fan.  Last night I cooked up one of them and served it with Spaghetti Sauce.

Surprisingly everyone in my family ate this without complaint.  It's not as good as really spaghetti but makes a great healthy alternative.  Once is is doused in spaghetti sauce it doesn't even taste "squashy".

3 comments:

  1. How did you prepare it Kathy? Roasting?

    My gram keeps telling me I should try it but my husband and older kid are sooooo picky. Our toddler and I seem to be the ones who love trying new stuff and she loves other squash this one just seems intimidating. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cut it in half (which was not an easy task). Scooped out the seeds then put it cut side down on a cookie sheet and baked it at 375 for 45 minutes. When it is done you just use a fork to scoop it out and it shreds to resemble spaghetti.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love spaghetti squash! I usually put mine, cut side down, in a roasting pan with some water and bake.

    I got my daughter (who is the queen of picky and is allergic to wheat and gluten) to eat and like it.

    I've made it with red spaghetti sauce (with meatballs) that I've spiced up a bit and I've also served it with shrimp in a scampi sauce. If you want, you could always serve garlic toast with it.

    ReplyDelete