Friday, July 8, 2011

Slap Chop & Homemade Salsa



I succumbed to one of those As Seen on TV ads... I bought a Slap Chop.  At the current price of $8.90 on Amazon.com with free super saver shipping it is not a bad deal. I don't think it is worth the $20 plus shipping that it is advertised for, but I needed another item to hit $25 for free shipping so I added a Slap Chop to my order.

I used it to make homemade salsa today.  I chopped up the onion and then my 11 year old daughter came in and thought it was cool and wanted to try it.  She chopped up 3 tomatoes for me.  The advertisement said it was easy enough for a child to use but I think a young child would have trouble chopping up some items.  You really have to whack it to get it to cut all the way through the tomato skin.

So here is the results:

Black Bean & Corn Salsa
1 large red onion
3 tomatoes
1 1/2 cups of organic frozen corn
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
sea salt

I'm looking for a healthy alternative to chips.  We used Costco's organic corn chips but they are a fried food and thus not a healthy choice.  I've come across a couple recipes but it seems like a lot of work to make them from scratch.  The easier option being baking or drying corn tortillas.  I hope the healthiness of the salsa partly counteracts the unhealthiness of the chips.

2 comments:

  1. I just cut a corn tortilla in quarters and pop it in the toaster. Definitely not a chip, but a great way to get salsa into my mouth! If you have a toaster oven you could put them in whole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have a toaster oven. I'll try it!

    ReplyDelete