Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Kale & Quinoa Salad

My husband and I loved dinner last night. The kids on the other hand were not so impressed.

I decided to try a recipe from the Health for Life Cooking class I went to last week. It was my favorite thing that April made: Mediterranean Kale & Millet Salad.

I had to modify it a little because I didn't have any millet and could not find any at Wal-mart. And I forgot to grab a red pepper so I left it out. I substituted quinoa for the millet. It still turned out so yummy.

The only problem is I forgot how much this makes. There were 7 adults at the class and we only ate half the salad. So with just my husband and I and 5 kids who each ate a couple bites it meant we had alot of leftovers. I took some to 2 of my neighbors who I thought might actually eat it and put the rest in my fridge. It was still delicious even day old when I had it for lunch today.

So here is the original recipe by April Ashcroft

Mediterranean Kale and Millet Salad
1 cup uncooked millet (I substituted quinoa and couldn't tell the difference)
6 oz. or more of kale
1 14 oz can black olives
Juice of 1 lemon
1 cup tightly packed basil leaves, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper diced (I forgot to buy this so it got left out)
1 red onion, chopped
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
2 cups white beans (great northern or navy)
2 cups fresh or frozen corn
more lemon juice if needed (I had only bought 1 lemon and would have added more lemon juice if I had another lemon)
1/2 tsp salt

Boil 2 cups water in a medium sauce pan. Add millet, reduce heat to low and simmer until millet is tender. Let cool.
Finely chop kale and transfer to a large bowl. Chop olives and add to kale along with the lemon juice. With both hands massage kale, lemons and olives very well until bright green and tender (like kneading bread). Mix in basil, remaining vegetables, beans and corn.* Add salt and more lemon juice if desired.
*Mix in the frozen corn with the cooked millet to thaw corn and cool the millet before adding to the salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment