Monday, May 16, 2011

Sugar: The Bitter Truth



My husband & I watched this video yesterday. It was so convincing I'm afraid my kids are going to be quite disappointed at the end of our no sugar month. Sugar, especially high fructose corn syrup will not be making a reappearance in our home.

Here is what my take aways were:

Drink only water - he did say water or milk but we no longer drink milk - milk is for baby cows not humans - until recently I was unaware that most of the world does not drink milk.  We've given it up except for turning it into Kefir, the kids still drink it elsewhere but not in our house.

Eat your carbohydrates with fiber. The more fiber the better.

Wait 20 minutes before having a second portion.

Exercise - Make them earn their screen time minute for minute.

My favorite quote from the movie: "When God made the poison, he packed it with the antidote" - in reference to fructose being the poison and fiber being the antidote.

Our oldest had a pear this morning but the other kids all ate school breakfast this morning which I'm sure was full of sugar and unhealthy foods and I'm sure they drank some of their milk. 9 more days of school and then I'll have a little more control over their diets. I've compromised and let them have school lunch until the school year ends but they are not eating the dessert.  This morning we were running late and my kitchen was a mess - last night our kitchen sink stopped draining so I couldn't get the dishes done.  With as much cooking from scratch as I've been doing I can't believe how many dishes I have to do.  3 loads and their are still dishes in the sink!

For breakfast today my husband and I had green smoothies made from:

spinach
1 carrot
1 mango
1 pineapple
1 banana
strawberries




It tasted great. I then added some blackberries to turn it purple so the kids would drink the left overs after school. There is something that is just unappetizing to them about drink a cup of green sludge.  It no longers bothers me but the first few times I had to psych myself up to drink it.  Thank goodness for blackberries because the kids will drink purple smoothies without much complaint.

I've never been much of a raw vegetable fan. Not my favorite thing but I'm learning to like them. Lunch today was a left over smoothie and a green salad with romaine, spinach, tomatoes, celery, broccoli, cucumbers, sugar snap peas, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds. It actually tasted really good to me. I put a little ranch on a plate and just dipped the ends of my fork in it. I used barely any of the dressing. I still need to come up with replacement salad dressings but just haven't had the time or energy to do so yet. Considering the fact that I didn't even eat salad as a child and until recently Caesar Salad or salad from the Olive Garden was about the only kind of salad I really enjoyed I think I'm doing great.

Dinner tonight is supposed to be a modified Mexican Chef Salad but I just looked at the bottle of Thousand Island which is made from Soybean Oil and High Fructose Corn Syrup :( We'll probably have it anyway and hope that all the fiber from the salad portion cancels out the poison from the HFCS.  I should probably be more dedicated and just throw the bottle away and come up with something else for dinner but the salad is already cut up so I'll likely be a slacker on this one.

On another note I put our microwave out in the garage. I'll eventually replace it with a toaster/convection oven. My son went to heat up a bowl of oatmeal last night and wasn't sure how to do it without the microwave. He learned how to make it on the stove instead. I've read all the controversy over microwaves being good or bad and decided since we are trying to eat as much raw food as we can it would be better to just get rid of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment