Friday, May 20, 2011

Book Review: Sweet Deception by Joseph Mercola

Sweet Deception: Why Splenda, NutraSweet, and the FDA May Be Hazardous to Your Health

Most people believe that sucralose (Splenda) is a perfectly safe artificial sweetener. Big business and the FDA have fostered that dangerous misconception. The truth is Splenda is by no means safe; and the same is true for many of the other artificial sweeteners being marketed today. Dr. Joseph Mercola---supported by extensive studies and research---exposes the fact that Splenda actually contributes to a host of serious diseases. Sweet Deception will lay out how the FDA really works for big food companies and should not be trusted when it comes to your health.


As you know we've been off sugar for nearly a month.  I admit I had a couple small pieces of candy while babysitting the other day. It was a total stressed out overtired emotional eating breakdown.  But I kept it in control and only had a little. I allowed the kids to put a little real maple syrup on their pancakes and we put some honey on some dry, tasteless gluten free cornbread that I made. 


There are times when it is necessary to sweeten something so I gleaned a lot from this book.   For quite a while I've told my kids I would rather they ate sugar instead of an artificial sweetener.  This book reaffirmed that belief.   Although natural sweeteners are better than artificial ones they too cause a whole host of health problems.  Although we've never consumed much in the way of artificial sweeteners I'll be going out of my way to avoid them in the future and doing my best to limit all sweeteners in general.


On that note my kids just came home with "all natural" snow cones that had no sugar in them.   That didn't sound right to me so I went over to the neighbors to look at the bottle of sweetener.  Aspartame and Acesulfame Potassium were both on the ingredient label along with a host of other ingredients I didn't recognize and couldn't say.   The snow cone my thoughtful daughter brought home for my oldest son got dumped down the sink and my kids were told no more snow cones at the neighbors.  If they've got to have a snow cone then I'll get them some juice for next time.


My son came home from school listing off 3 different things he didn't eat today.  There is less than a week of school left and the celebrating has started.  Celebration in the form of sugary treats.  Thank goodness for the reward of Disneyland that is just a week away and I'm so proud of my kids for resisting the sugar!


If you are interested in learning more about artificial sweeteners then give this book a try.  If you can't or won't live without your diet Coke then perhaps skip this book because you won't like what it has to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment